Thursday, July 16, 2009

Searching for the Spirit

This past weekend Mike, the girls & I visited my Dad & step family in Georgia. While we were there my daughter and I attended a Sunday service at their church. http://www.12stone.com/home/home.php 12 Stone is a contemporary church that is so large they have a Starbucks on site. They seat 2,600 people for each of their 3 adult services. They also have separate services for high school, middle school, elementary and preschool children going on simultaneously in different rooms throughout the building. On any given Sunday 10,000-12,000 people attend these services! My family has been telling me about the 12 Stone community for a couple years. My Dad even sings in the choir! I had to check it out just to see what all the fuss about.

That morning, I was blown away! There was no alter, just a large stage and several jumbotron screens. The band opened service with "Life is a Highway" by Rascal Flats. Their rendition was spot on! After the band rocked a couple more songs one of the pastors took the stage. This weeks message was about enjoying the journey on the road to the destination. Something we ALL need a reminder of. The pastor was brilliant, he was funny, he was thoughtful, he connected all of his personal stories to verses in the Bible bringing his message down to a level that anyone and everyone can understand and relate to, including me.

I was so impressed by 12 Stone Church. Sure, the building is beautiful and the band rocked. Sure, they have stadium seating with a cup holders for your $5 Starbucks mocha-latte-whatever and a state of the art production equipment ... I was impressed because I felt so welcome and completely at ease. I felt the spirit of God through the pastors message, the music and through the community.

I was raised catholic and since graduating from my catholic high school 14 years ago I have steered clear of organized religion. Yet, I have always had faith. Now that I'm a parent, I realize that God is an important part of family life and raising children. I don't want to force religion on my girls but I do want them to grow up believing in something greater than themselves.

Before the new school year begins I plan to attend services at 2 different kid friendly churches. One is the presbyterian church in Sarasota where my Madelyn went to preschool and the other is a non-denominational church in North Port that I have heard good things about. I know I won't find anything in my area just like 12 Stone but maybe I can find a house of God and a community with the spirit, energy and warmth that my daughter and I experienced at 12 Stone.

1 comment: