Every afternoon it seems Mike & I ask each other "what's for dinner?" I try to plan out our meals and shop in advance but even when we have a freezer full of food we can't decide what to make! Saturday night as Mike & I pondered our choices, I kept coming back to the the leftover roasted chicken breasts that were going to go to waste if they didn't get eaten. Mike suggested chicken enchiladas.
Mike & I love mexican food. Since I had chicken, cheese and tortillas, I knew I could wing the rest. I diced up the 2 breasts of chicken and put it in a bowl. Then I added a can of Bush's Chili Beans and mixed it all together with a teaspoon of chili powder and a few shakes of cumin. I needed one more ingredient to help bind the chicken and beans together. Since I didn't have sour cream I improvised and added 3 tablespoons of part skim ricota instead. Next, I spooned the mixture evenly into 8 soft taco size tortillas, added a sprinkle of shredded cheese, rolled them up and placed them in a 13 x 9 pan. I topped the rolled enchiladas with a bit of salsa and another sprinkle of shredded cheese and baked them at 350* for 20 minutes.

Love it! Isn't it great when you can come up with something delicious without another trip to the grocery store? How do you think the ricota worked instead of sour cream?
ReplyDeleteI did a similar thing last night with our pulled pork leftovers - I made quesadillas with pulled pork, sharp cheddar, onions, and blk. olives. Toasted them in the oven for about 15 min, and they were yummy! Husband approved!
I liked it with the ricota. It was a subtle flavor. Truthfully, I'm not the biggest fan of sour cream anyway! I seriously LOVE mexican inspired foods. The quesadillas sound yummy too!
ReplyDeleteI love Mexican food, so easy and awesome.
ReplyDelete