So today was my 7th full day of my battle with head lice and we are doing much better. My house is still a wreck but at least I'm in control again. Maddy was cleared for school Thursday & Friday. Mikayla probably could have gone to school too, but it was easier for me to keep her home. She only goes two mornings a week. Mike has been home since Thursday afternoon. He's been such a help since he got here but he's exhausted, in fact he's worried he's getting sick. Lord, I hope not. At least it's the weekend so he can rest.
Even though are heads are healing, we're not completely out of the woods yet. Our heads are 99.9% clean but still have to be checked every day and my house is still in recovery. Reinfection is a definite possibility if I don't stay vigilant.
I chose to miss two birthday parties today. My best friend's son's, at her house and my cousin's party for her twins, also at her house. I was too paranoid to go to either party for fear that we'd somehow infect them or their house. After the trouble I have gone through, I didn't want to risk putting my loved ones through it... and I didn't want to be stressed about my girls bouncing in a bounce house with other kids. Yikes. I feel bad that I missed two important parties but I know my bestie & cousin appreciate me being cautious. They understand how consuming it's been too.
So maybe after another few days of compulsive aggressive tactics, I'll be able to relax. I want to be sure that this is out of my life. I don't want it drag on for weeks like the horror stories I've heard. I do plan to cut 4 inches of Maddy's hair and braid it more for school. Hairspray and/or mousse with be part of her daily routine to make her hair less susceptible at school. Mikayla's hair has never been trimmed, but she might be getting at least and inch or two off just because her ends are dry, they've been since summer. Me? Everyone keeps tell me I should color my hair. Lice don't like color treated hair. Amazingly, I have NEVER colored my hair! I have a good natural color especially with my summer highlights. BUT, it just so happens Mike also found a couple grey hairs on my head when he was combing it for me! So maybe it's time for a boost. I don't think I'll go with anything darker but you never know...
I didn't know you were going through the head lice thing. You should of called me. I work in the health room at G G Elementary school and have seen plenty. I know many ways of getting rid of it. I also know many things that do not work. I don't think I would color your hair just to avoid getting lice. I have found some in color treated hair too. I do know they don't like to stay in hair that has stuff in it that makes it difficult to attach their eggs to the hair shaft, thus the reason for hair spray or mousse. The problem with that is you have to make sure it is close to the scalp because that is where they'd be to lay the eggs. Anyway if you have any questions DM me on twitter or facebook, I'll give you my phone number. Good luck with it.
ReplyDelete