The same day I posted my last blog More Bad News, Mikayla was coming down with a cold of sorts, that night she ended up in my bed with a fever of 102. The next day, my health starting going downhill. When I mentioned our conditions on FB, a few friends told me to look out for flu symptoms, that it's 'going around'. Honestly, I was fuzzy on the differences & similarities between flu & cold symptoms and after some Googling I was concerned we both had the flu.
Friday morning (yesterday) I called our family doctor to get us both examined. Sure enough we both tested positive for type A influenza. Our doctor wrote prescriptions for Tamiflu for me & Mikayla with refills in case Maddy or Mike came down with it too.
Mikayla & I were both miserable. Not only were we sicker than sick yesterday but Mike is in Chicago for his Grandma's funeral. Needless to say he has his own angst to deal with but I can't help missing & needing him terribly. I can't remember ever being so sick in my adult life, it sucks that he is so far away when I need him most. Ironically, when Mike was away for his other Grandma's funeral earlier this month, the girls & I discovered we had head lice! Mike has gone away dozens of times over the years with little or no trouble here on the home front. This month has been nothing but trouble. Head lice & flu are pretty much the worst things a Mom can deal with! Both are consuming miserable experiences that you can't wait to put behind you.
Unfortunately, Mike & I got into a fight over the phone today. I pushed his buttons which I am completely in the wrong for but now I'm PMSing on top of grieving & being sick. Emotional is an understatement. Now that his Gram's funeral proceedings are over, I just want Mike to come home but he's not leaving until tomorrow. Today, he's hanging out with his life long friends which I'm glad for, but I just need some pampering from him. While he's been dealing with his Grandmothers' deaths, he's had his family & friends to lean on. I've been on my own. It was hard enough for me to stay home and miss these funerals but these times have been even harder because of our health problems. My neighbor helped me during the head lice mess, and thankfully my stepmom came to my aid yesterday. She picked up our prescriptions and some essentials at Publix for me so I wouldn't have to leave the house. She even brought me flowers which made me cry because I was so touched. Thankfully, she has had her flu shot so she insisted on staying for a while to take care of us which meant the world to me.
I know Mike & I will be fine, I just don't feel like he takes MY feelings seriously all the time. Maybe I'm emotional, maybe my hormones are getting the best of me, but instead of saying something thoughtful to make me feel better, he just gets pissed. It's frustrating. Men are definitely wired differently than women. After 15 years together, you'd think we'd have each other figured out...
So I've had three doses of Tamiflu and I am feeling much better than yesterday. My fever is down, my body & head aches have subsided... now my flu feels more like a cold. Mikayla is better than she was but she still has a ways to go. At least I see the light at the end of the tunnel... again. By the time Mike gets home, we'll be on the mend but it will be Monday and we'll all be thrown back into school & work schedules all over again... sigh. There won't be any time for 'pampering'. It's been a hard month and I'm ready to kick it to the curb, hopefully February will bring a new fresh start so we can put all the sorrow & distress of January 2011 behind us.
I'm sorry you had to deal with so much while we were all in Illinois! I can tell you that Mike did miss you lots & wished you guys would have been able to be there too. Everyone understood that you needed to be home with the girls so never feel guilty about not being there. We know you guys were there in spirit & of course Grandma knew that too. Glad things are now looking up & you're working on the girl's room re-do. I can't wait to see it!!
ReplyDelete