Monday, January 10, 2011

2011 Resolutions

I've never been big on making New Years Resolutions.  I'm not really sure why.  Last year, I didn't make any resolutions because I was content.  My husband had a promising new job with great benefits, I was able to stay home full-time guilt-free, my oldest daughter was doing well in school, my youngest daughter was the apple of our eye, life was good.

So let me back track before I declare my resolutions...

Last year my oldest daughter Madelyn was beginning to struggle in school and was diagnosed with ADHD, something I have never shared publicly on my blog.  The decision to medicate her was a tough one, but it was the right one.  By the end of 1st grade (June of 2010) Maddy was on the A/B Honor Roll and her confidence at school had grown considerably.  I was so proud and relieved that she was able to pass her grade successfully.  2nd grade has been another story....

Mikayla, my youngest has been trying to keep up with her big sister Madelyn since she was born, she walked at 9 months, ran at 1 year, and had the verbal skills of a 3 year old by the time she turned 2.  Developmentally, Mikayla is ahead of the game in every category.  Her only problem is her sassy stubborn attitude & her laziness about getting to the bathroom on time.  Listening & potty training have been an daily struggle for far too long...

As for Mike, his job has it's ups and downs.  Since he works from home a lot, it's hard to keep work & home life separate.  When he's stressed, I'm stressed.  When I'm stressed my patience with him & the girls is almost non-existent...

Me?  Mikayla's birth in 2007 coincided with the unravelling of my employer's business and my inlaws' (my babysitters) move out of town.  I took my maternity leave but was only able to return to work one day a week until the doors closed in 2008.  Since these events,  I have been home full time with my girls.  In a way, it's been therapeutic for me.  My own parents had a miserable marriage and divorced when I was 5.  Most of my early childhood memories are not happy ones.  Mike & I have a good marriage, and of course that is more important than whether I am working or not, but at least I've been able to give my daughters a happier, stabler childhood than I had.

So that brings me to mine AND my family's 2011 New Years Resolutions.

For Maddy...

To pass 2nd grade. Again her work is inconsistent and she's struggling.  1st grade was cake compared the expectations for this year.  We are long past the days of learning to read.  Now, Maddy has to read to learn.  Math & Comprehension are the hardest for a child with ADHD.  Heck they're hard for a kid who doesn't have it!  Taking medication helps but there is no cure and meds that work now, may not work in 6 months.  It is MY resolution to stay educated so I can understand & effectively treat her disorder so that she can be successful in school socially AND academically... and to also continue nurturing uniqueness & her artistic talents in which she does thrive. ADHD is an obstacle that she'll have to overcome her whole life and she can't do it without my help.  Her doctor, teachers & counselors all want the best for her but I am her strongest & most devoted advocate.  I will NOT let my child fall through the cracks like the many kids with this disorder often do.

For Mikayla...

To listen better, take a nap a few times a week and stop having accidents.  Expectations are pretty basic when you're three.  If she could improve on all three of these points, Daddy & I would be thrilled!

For my husband & my marriage...

To make more time for it.  Mike needs as much patience, love and support as my children do... and I need the same from him.  We have a good marriage, but even a good marriage needs effort to maintain it.  This coming March we will be celebrating our 12th wedding anniversary.  I would love to get a way for a weekend or even just one night with the love of my life.  We SERIOUSLY deserve it.

For me...

To have MORE patience with my husband and girls.  I pray for it everyday.  They all know how to push my buttons and rarely give me 10 minutes of peace or quiet.  Being a Mom is the hardest job in the world, but I wouldn't change a thing.  I love taking care of my family but if I had more patience, everyone would benefit especially me.

To loose weight & tone up.  I lost most of my pregnancy weight quickly after each baby but somehow it crept back on over the months & years after.  I like to eat, but I loathe most forms of high impact exercise.  The elliptical is the devil!  Oh how I wish I took after my Mom who is 4'10'', 95 lbs and can eat whatever she wants!  Anyway, my curves rocked before I started having babies.  I'd love to get them back!  I am already using the Lose It App on my new iPad and I love it!  I also downloaded a few new fitness games for our Wii, since it's too cold for me to swim laps.  So far I've lost 5 lbs! 

To find my new career path, whatever it might be!  Since I never finished college and my inlaws' sold their business - which eventually went out of business... I have nothing to fall back on at the moment.  I am 33, my children are both in school, it's time for me to figure out what I'm going to do for the rest of my life.  Unfortunately, inflation is on the rise, the cost of living is going up. Having a two incomes would help us stay out of debt, get us the bigger home we dream of and give me the sense of fulfillment, that I miss from working & earning a paycheck.  


Sooo, wish US luck!  And best wishes for a happy & prosperous New Year of all you!


2 comments:

  1. Great post, Mel! I enjoyed reading that. These are get goals for 2011. The career path one I'm sure if difficult. I'll keep you all in my prayers and hope that you have a blessed and happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed it as well! It feels good to get things out of your head and share with others who are dealing with similar stresses. Everything will work out with the girls, I just know it! And awesome job on losing 5 pounds already!

    Anytime you need to vent or talk, please do not hesitate to call me. I'm always here for you!

    ReplyDelete