Today was a not so great day. To start off with, a new client I was being matched with at work cancelled her pending contract. This client's schedule would have perfected mine, so it's really a bummer that it fell through.
I also assisted for the last time in my daughter's classroom. I've come to look forward to this every week. My daughter's teacher is a gem and so are her 19 students. Being a teacher is not an easy job, and I think this year I have more appreciation for them than ever. My daughter's teacher is so dedicated & emotionally invested, she tears up just talking about her students. Today I had a little taste of what it's like to BE a teacher because I was sad when I left the classroom. Yes, I'm looking forward to summer but it's bittersweet saying goodbye & moving on.
Then, I went to pick up my youngest daughter at preschool and I walked in, her teacher asked me point blank "Where were you last night?! Our Spring Program was last night! I was worried!" I was speechless, because I honestly had no idea! I knew Mikayla & her classmates were practicing songs but somehow I missed the when & where details... (she's only there 2 mornings a week). I feel awful. Mikayla's teacher is nothing short of amazing and I feel like I totally let her down. Ms. Jenny LOVES Mikayla and I'm sure... even though she understands I started a new job & our whole house was sick last week, that she missed having Mikayla there. These programs are really NOT for the kids, they're for the teachers & the parents. I'm crushed that Ms. Jenny & I missed a chance to see Mikayla sing on stage again. Especially for Ms. Jenny who put in all the hard work in preparing. These preschool years fly by so fast and I totally dropped the ball on this one. BIG TIME!
That's not all....
Friday, is Mikayla's end of the year class field trip which I was supposed to chaperone her to. It's just to the park & to Micky D's but I've been reminding myself about it over and over again... but today in my eagerness to get more hours at work I forgot about the field trip and accepted a shift during it! I am so upset with myself! At least Mikayla won't have to miss it this event though because I've become friends with one of the other moms. Mikayla & her daughter are two peas in a pod. Jean offered to be my proxy on the field trip and Mikayla's before & after play date host. Normally, I would have sent Mikayla to my StepMom's or my neighbor's for the morning because she's doesn't have school on Fridays, but because of the field trip she does. So Jean saved the day! The icing on the cake is that Jean & Olivia also live in our neighborhood & they're only two minutes away. I wish that I could go on the field trip, but this is the best possible alternative plan. Mikayla & Olivia are already so excited that they get to spend some extra special time together too so at least I didn't screw this event up too bad.
So obviously I'm feeling a little down on myself because I completely missed or screwed up not one, but two events for Mikayla at school and I'm a little frustrated with work or lack there of it. I really like my job so far but it's going to take some time for my schedule to fill up & smooth out. I pursued this career for it's flexibility so I have to get used to the unexpected changes that will inevitably happen.
Hopefully, tomorrow & the rest of this week will be better days.
Cut yourself a break, Mel! You are an amazing mom & you have inspired me in so many ways with parenting. You always seem to have it together & organized whereas I feel like a mess most of the time. Working & raising kids is anything but easy & you will find a good balance. You're just starting out in your new job so of course there will be changes & adjustments. Mikayla will have many more performances that you WILL be at! Don't let unnecessary guilt weigh you down... think of all the things you have done for them! They love their mommy no matter what!
ReplyDeleteYou can't be perfect all of the time! Mom's are perfect, but they're still human!
ReplyDelete